By viewing this site you have agreed to our disclaimer. This site is provided for entertainment purposes only. Nothing I say is advice, do your own research and consult a financial advisor.

Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Well that was a bit disappointing

I just finished my second course through EduMine, An introduction to Evaluation of Junior Mining Companies for Investors. It was significantly shorter that the first course I completed (hence being able to complete it in a day) and left me somewhat underwhelmed due to the lack of information provided.  It pretty much just outlined the risks involved with investing and what a Discounted Cash Flow model is without really providing any insight or detail in how to actually go about constructing one.

Most of the information I already knew and I would only recommend this course for someone with a very limited understanding of finance or investing. That said, I am determined to get something out of every course I do and did find the information on analysing qualitative risks associated with management and their experience refreshing. This is definitely something I would like to put more emphasis in the future and I will look at developing a spread sheet/summary sheet to use when researching the management team of companies I consider investing in.

The course also reminded me of the importance of long term forecasting of commodity prices. Obviously it is hard to complete this form of analysis with any great deal of accuracy, however it is something I should put greater consideration on in the future.

Feel free to let me know if you want further insight into the courses I have been completed or a link to the site so you can check it out for yourself. I get a number of hits each day on my site, but I would really like to generate some discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment